In May of 2002, Vietnam Vets Rob Burgess, Dave Cronin and Ken Bedeau took part in the Rolling Thunder Rally in Washington DC. On their ride home they made a stop in Garden City, MI, the place that the ALR organization all started.
During the summer of 2002, the trio received the approval of the American Legion Post 122 in Deer River to officially organize what is now known as American Riders Chapter #1 Post 122, Deer River, MN, the first American Legion Riders Chapter in the state of MN.
The first meeting was convened by Rob Burgess in the fall of 2002. The initial meetings were primarily attended by those numbering one through eight on the current membership list. There were a few bumps in the road in the early days but with the guidance of Deer River Post 122 Officer Art Mertes Sr., Chapter #1 matured and grew to what we are today.
These eight members held true to the rules and regulations of the National Association and as officers and members of Chapter #1 they have been called upon to assist in the creation of other ALR Chapters in the 10 Minnesota Districts that now exist in the state of Minnesota.
Our current 2013 membership is 46.
If you are a motorcycle enthusiast and enjoy the company of other military vets or a supporter of the Veterans organizations, maybe you’d like information regarding membership or about our Chapter #1.
Director: Ross Hogate Email email@example.com Phone 218-206-4113
- Chapter #1 Rider dues: $15.00 year
- American Legion dues: $30.00 year
PO Box 176, Deer River, MN, 56636
Membership Director: Doug Bourguin 218-246-2219
- Director: Ross Hogate
- Asst. Director: Rick Fideldy
- Treasurer: Dan Pearson
- Secretary: DJ Jerome
- Sergeant at Arms: Denny Johnson
- Membership Director: Doug Bourquin
- Ride Coordinator: Doug Bourquin/Denny Johnson
- Chaplin: DJ Jerome
- Buzz Mann/Phone Caller: Chuck Yost
- Public Relations:
- To participate in parades and other ceremonies which are
in keeping with the Aims and Purposes of the American Legion
- To promote motorcycle safety programs and to provide social
atmosphere for the American Legion members who share the same interest.
- To use our Association to promote and support programs of the American Legion
- Be a current member in good standing of one of the following:
- American Legion
- American Legion Auxilliary
- Sons of the American Legion
- Own a motorcycle of at least 350cc
- Possess a valid driver’s license in your state of residence (military equivalents acceptable as well)
- -Or- Be a legal spouse of an ALR member in good standing within the Chapter of Application